This page gives links and citations to sources of information on campaigns and elections, and campaign finance.
Elections A to Z.
[online resource; UCSB IP addresses only]
Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications, 2012.
- Explains how campaigns and elections - House, Senate, presidential, and some state-level elections - are conducted in the United States.
Commission on Presidential Debates. (CPD)
- Established in 1987 to ensure that debates, as a permanent part of every general election, provide the best possible information to viewers and listeners.
- Holds debate transcripts from 1960 and from 1972-present.
The living room candidate: Presidential campaign commercials.
- Commercials from every presidential election between 1952-2020.
A New Nation Votes: American Election Returns, 1787-1825.
- A database compiled by Philip Lampi and presented online by The American Antiquarian Society and Tufts University Digital Collections and Archives.
Record of American Democracy. (ROAD)
- From Harvard University, an "aggregate data set on American politics" … with "election returns, socioeconomic summaries, and demographic measures of the American public at unusually low levels of geographic aggregation" covering "every state in the country from 1984 through 1990 (including some off-year elections)."
Rutgers University. Center for American Women and Politics. Election Watch.
- A site for data and analysis of women's voting behavior and participation in government.
United States Census. Voting and Registration page.
- Voting and registration data, plus demographic and socioeconomic characteristics, collected in November of Congressional and Presidential election years in the Current Population Survey (CPS) - a monthly survey of about 50,000 households conducted by the Bureau of the Census for the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Library of Congress. United States Elections Web Archive.
- Includes sites archived weekly during the election seasons since 2000, documenting sites associated with the Presidential, Congressional, and gubernatorial elections.
Election Results, California: