Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The following areas are the current and approved exhibition areas in UCSB Library.
- Ocean Gallery
- Mountain Gallery
- Art & Architecture
- Pacific View Gallery
- Special Research Collections
- Learning Commons (Approved for student work only)
Propose an Exhibition
All Library exhibitions must be approved in advance. Exhibition spaces are usually reserved at least 12 months ahead of time. The first step is to submit an exhibition proposal.
Exhibition Support from UCSB Library Staff
Library staff will support curators in the following ways:
- assist with logistics and installation
- project manage to ensure deadlines are met
- design and print all graphics except object labels
- proofread all text
- assist with photography
- promote and publicize
- plan related programming
The Big Idea: What is your Exhibit About?
- An exhibit is a story. What story do you want to tell?
- Every exhibit needs one big idea, which can be summarized into one sentence, to guide it.
- Everyone leaving the exhibit should be able to easily explain what it was about.
Indicators of Excellence in Exhibitions
Indicators of Excellence in Exhibitions (from the National Association for Museum Exhibition)
- An aspect of the exhibition is innovative.
- The exhibition offers a new perspective or new insight on a topic.
- The exhibition presents new information.
- The exhibition synthesizes and presents existing knowledge and/or collection materials in a provocative way.
- The exhibition includes innovative uses of media, materials, and other design elements.
- The exhibition is particularly beautiful, exceptionally capable of engendering a personal, emotional response, and/or profoundly memorable in a constructive way.
- The exhibition evokes responses from viewers that are evidence of a transforming experience. Such experiences are often characterized in these ways: It was haunting. The exhibition was an absolute eye-opener. I'll never see [that] in the same way again. I was filled with excitement. It knocked my socks off It sent shivers down my spine. I finally got it!
Copyright © 2008-2019 The Regents of the University of California, All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Library (805) 893-2478 • Music Library (805) 893-2641 • UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010
Contact Us • Policies