What is Materials Science?
"The branch of science that deals with the structure, properties, and processing of materials, esp. with regard to their potential usefulness." -Oxford English Dictionary
"Materials science may be defined as the relationship of the properties of an object to its chemical composition and structure." - Materials Science & Engineering, Giles F. Carter and Donald E. Paul, 1991
Materials and Chemical Engineering News from GlobalSpec
Structures of eight allotropes of carbon, courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
This guide will direct you to the best sources for doing library research in Materials Science and Engineering.
Table of Contents:
Tools to find books in the UCSB Library, other UC libraries, and libraries around the world.
Tools to find journal articles and other documents (e.g. conference papers, dissertations, etc.)
- Web Sites - Useful websites for students and researchers.
- Specialized Guides- Guides for specific branches of the subject.
Materials Science and Engineering at UCSB
- Materials Department
- California Nanosystems Institute
- Center for Multifunctional Materials and Structures
- Center for Stem Cell Biology and Engineering
- Center on Materials for Energy Efficiency
- International Center for Materials Research
- Materials Research Laboratory
- Mitsubishi Chemical Center for Advanced Materials
- Solid State Lighting and Display Center