The Library Research Strategies page of this guide gives advice on how to structure a library search, and how to find journal articles.
Most library research projects in the classics would start with a search in the article index: L'Année Philologique or JSTOR: Classical Studies journals.
The databases listed elsewhere on this page focus on specific periods, regions or topics in the classics.
JSTOR - Classical Studies journals.
-Search JSTOR's journals that focus on Classical Studies.
Bulletin Analytique d'Histoire Romaine. (BAHR)
- Pick your preferred search language, English or French, and then proceed to the Search (or Recherche) link.
- Citations and abstracts for articles on Roman history and archaeology. Coverage is 1992 forward. Contains materials not indexed in L'Annee philologique.
- A database of information on archaeological excavations in Italy and elsewhere in the ancient Roman world, reported from 2000 forward. A project of the International Association of Classical Archaeology (AIAC) and the Center for the Study of Ancient Italy (CSAI) of the University of Texas at Austin.
Gnomon; kritische Zeitschrift für die gesamte klassische Altertumswissenschaft.
Berlin, Weidmann 1925-
- 1925-2015 available through JSTOR.
- Also available in print at Sciences & Engineering Z7016 .G56 (current copies)
- Includes citations to articles, books and other scholarly literature in classical studies, including works more recent than available in L'Annee philologique, and dissertations not findable elsewhere.
- Nestor is an international bibliography of Aegean studies, Homeric society, Indo-European linguistics, and related fields. Issues are published monthly from September to May (each volume covers one calendar year) by the Department of Classics, University of Cincinnati. The online version contains citations from the printed volumes back to 1959.
- An open access journal archive presented as a joint service of the Université de Lyon, the Le Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS) and the École normale supérieure de Lyon. Persée has gained the support of the Ministère de l'Éducation nationale, de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche.
- Journals can be sorted by discipline. As in JSTOR, there is an embargo on access to most publications. The typical embargo period is 3-5 years from the present date.
Revue des études anciennes.
Paris: Societé d'Edition Les belles lettres, 1899-
- Main Library P1 .R47
Revue des études grecques.
[online resource; UCSB IP addresses only]
Association pour l'encouragement des études grecques en France.
Paris: E. Leroux, 1888-
- Latest 4 years not available online.
- Print copies available at Main Library D1 .R483
TOCS-IN: Tables of Contents of Journals of Interest to Classicists
- Provides the tables of contents of a selection of Classics, Near Eastern Studies, and Religion journals. TOCS-IN is an entirely volunteer project, started in 1992 on the original idea of R. Morstein-Marx (Santa Barbara, California) (Yay Bob!), and currently managed by PMW Matheson (Toronto, Canada) and Jacques Poucet (Louvain, Belgium).