Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
COVID-19 UPDATE: Currently, the UCSB Library will fulfill faculty requests from courses of any size for Kanopy streaming film licenses. This is a temporary measure in response to the COVID-19 crisis. There is a limit of 9 films per instructor per quarter.
Course Reserves Purposes:
Kanopy licenses (1 year streaming rental) are available for individual films for course reserves/out of classroom viewing in high-enrollment courses only.
Requests must be submitted by Faculty/Instructors via the Online Course Reserves System (ARES). There is a limit of 9 films per instructor per quarter.
Faculty/Instructors, please contact your Subject Librarian or Course Reserves for assistance with DVD acquisitions for in-class screening.
Personal Research & Recreational Viewing:
Please check other streaming video collections (at left), or use UCSB Library Search and the Melvyl catalog to locate and borrow physical formats.
NOTE: UCSB Library's unlimited access to Kanopy Streaming ended in July 2017 due to unsustainable licensing costs.
Placing a Course Reserves Video Request in Ares
If you are submitting your request through the Course Reserves platform, follow these steps;
1. Use your UCSB NetID and password to access Ares via this link, http://ares.library.ucsb.edu/ares/
2. Go to your Specific Course Number and then click on “Course Home”
3. On the next page, click on “Add Reserve Items.”
4. Where it says, “ What would you like to place on Course Reserves?” select "Video"
5. Next, you will see a request form. Complete the following required fields:
- Title of the film
- How will this item be supplied?
- Notes - while this section is not required, it is very useful when ordering Kanopy because one can notate to Course Reserves staff, the number of students enrolled in the course and details about where the film can be purchased.
- Provide the URL or details of where you found the link, for example “ Item is on Kanopy, the link is https://sbpl.kanopy.com/video/introduction-infectious-diseases-series
6. After you provide all the required and crucial information, click the “Submit item” button. Your request will go into the Course Reserves processing queue.
Copyright © 2008-2019 The Regents of the University of California, All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Library (805) 893-2478 • Music Library (805) 893-2641 • UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010
Contact Us • Policies