Scholarly Communication Program
The UCSB Library Scholarly Communication Program is coordinated by the Scholarly Communication Program Coordinator, Sherri L. Barnes, in collbaoration with the Scholarly Communication Group, which replaced the Scholarly Communcation Committee, the originators of this Toolkit. The charge for the Committee is the box below. A strategic plan for the the Program is under development and will be available here once finalized.
Scholarly communication is the system through which research and other scholarly writings and knowledge are created, evaluated for quality, disseminated to the scholarly community, and preserved for future use.
The UCSB Library is committed to partnering with faculty to address the challenges and seize the opportunities presented by the transformative changes currently underway in scholarly communication. Although university libraries have been increasingly challenged by the unsustainable business models practiced by some publishers of scholarly information, new opportunities for sustainable, peer-reviewed, open-access publishing are developing rapidly, providing faculty the possibility of expanding the impact and visibility of their work by reaching new worldwide audiences.
2010-2011 Scholarly Communication Committee & Charge
One of the major collection development goals for the coming year is to provide training on scholarly communication issues, with the objective of developing collection managers' basic competencies, and to prepare librarians for SC outreach and liaison work with faculty and graduate students. To this end, UCSB Library's Scholarly Communication Committee was appointed by Lucia Snowhill, Acting Co-University Librarian and AUL for Collection Development.
THE COMMITTEE CHARGE IS TO:
- Develop a modular training plan on topics of scholarly communication
- Draft core competencies in scholarly communication
- Advise on the best structure for the training - collection groups, all collman meetings, etc., as appropriate
- Create and maintain a resource web page for collection managers
- Recommend an ongoing advisory structure/committee within the library to:
- monitor scholarly communication issues
- develop expertise and monitor development in all scholarly communication issues
- act as a resource for library personnel with SC questions and coordinate training related to SC
- identify and maintain liaison with campus and UC resource personnel for referral
- maintain awareness of UC and campus policies related to SC
- maintain a library SC resource Web site
- inform Library Administration of issues, policy and procedural needs
- act as a liaison to campus groups and initiatives related to SC
Janet Martorana (Co-Chair), Social Sciences Collection Group Coordinator
Jane Faulkner (Co-Chair), French and English Literatures Librarian
Sherri Barnes, Humanities Collection Group Co-Coordinator
Cathy Chiu, Area, Ethnic, and Gender Studies Collection Group Co-Coordinator
Gary Colmenar, Asian American Studies, Philosophy, Linguistics and Anthropology Librarian
Andrea Duda, Sciences and Engineering Collection Group Coordinator
Chuck Huber, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science Librarian
Eunice Schroeder, Humanities Collection Group Co-Coordinator